king oyster mushroom also referred to as the King Eryngii, the King Oyster is a beautiful specimen and is even used to decorate!! Great value for money, the King Oyster is a delicious alternative to the Porcini. Try serving it in a creamy ragout on thick toasted bread.
WHAT IS KING OYSTER MUSHROOM
As its name suggests, king oyster mushroom (杏鲍菇) belongs to the oyster mushroom family and it’s the largest kind of this genus. Unlike common oyster mushrooms which have big caps and small stems, king oyster mushroom has a fairly small, round cap, but a large, chunky stem which is the main part to enjoy in dishes
ALSO what makes King oyster mushroom special is its rich umami flavour and its firm, springy texture which resembles that of abalone (marine snails). That explains why you find the character “鲍”, meaning abalone, in the Chinese name of king oyster mushroom.
However, there are many ways to enjoy this delicacy. I love it in a hot pot, simply grilled with salt & spices or in a good stir-fry, like today’s recipe, with Sichuan garlic sauce.
WHAT IS GARLIC SAUCE
Moreover, garlic sauce refers to a type of stir fry seasoning which originated in Sichuan and which creates a complex flavour known as “Yu Xiang/鱼香”, literally meaning “Fish Fragrant”. Furthermore, there are two popular theories explaining the reason behind the name:
- The pickled chillies used in Yu Xiang sauce were traditionally fermented with a whole fish in the jar have a look at the image of this unique type of pickle that I saw on my Culinary Tour of China last year
Here is the list of ingredients for the garlic sauce which creates a tangy, spicy, sweet & sour taste.
- Garlic. Use a generous amount and mince it well.
- Chillies. You may use fresh chillies. However, If time permits I highly recommend you make some Pickled Chili Garlic Sauce which offers a more complex flavour.
- Black rice vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Shaoxing rice wine. You may replace it with Baijiu (Chinese white liquor) or dry sherry.
- Cornstarch. It’s for thickening the sauce to nicely coat the mushrooms.
You can find other delicious dishes using the same set of ingredients on my blog, such as Shredded Pork with Garlic Sauce (鱼香肉丝), Eggplant with Garlic Sauce (鱼香茄子)， Pan-fried Tofu with Garlic Sauce (鱼香豆腐).